Nothing makes a business look smarter and more tech-savvy than an infographic. Previously reserved for Fortune 500 companies and the like, data visualization is now a requirement in any competitive company’s toolkit. Which is why we’re sharing the best data visualization tools of 2019.
These tools will allow you to create an array of charts, plots, maps, matrices, or diagrams, transforming data sets into easy-to-digest information.
Tableau (and Tableau Public)
Best for: Creating maps, charts, and public-facing visualizations.
- Desktop app, server, online versions, and free public options
- Hundreds of data import options available
- Creates color-coded maps for geographical data
- Extensive gallery of infographics and visualizations
Best for: Non-designers who are looking to create marketing materials such as reports infographics, social posts, and more.
- Has drag-and-drop for easy design
- Can be exported into PNG, JPG, GIF, PDF, and HTML
- Can embed interactive designs in websites and apps, including a WordPress plugin
Best for: Those looking for a free option and easy creation of impressive basic charts and graphs.
- Has API that can import data from anywhere, including from live feeds
- App lets you create extensive customized features and the exact data required before importing
- Creates all styles and formats of charts with responsive output that’s ideal for viewing on any device
Best for: Creating data visualizations on news sites.
- Designed specifically to be embedded in news websites
- Interactive creation
- Copy and paste data into the tool to create charts with a single click
- Charts include tons of styles, including election donuts, area charts, scatter plots, choropleth, and maps
- Pro finish is styled to mimic top sites such as The New York Times
- Free plan allows embedding
Best for: Programmers with JS knowledge or those with access to a programmer.
- Non-programming users can use apps such as Plotly’s Chart Studio to access the library
Best for: Designers with a comfort level for coding and those using an SQL database, such as Google Spreadsheets and Salesforce, as well as large data sets.
- Free data visualization tool
- Creates interactive charts for embedding online
- Based on HTML5 and SVG outputs
- Works with dynamic data
- Works in browsers without additional plugins
- Works with Google Spreadsheets/Tables, Salesforce, and other SQL databases
- Creates a wide selection of customizable charts
Best for: Creating easy to use dashboards even if you have limited programming skills.
- Has more than 150 chart types
- Has over 1,000 map types
- Integrates with JS frameworks
- Integrates with server-side programming languages
- Easy embedding on websites
Best for: Designers looking for an easy open source customization option for interactive visualizations.
- Open source with a respectable selection of eight chart types
- Allows for animated and interactive design
- Uses HTML5 Canvas for output
- Renders charts for modern browsers
- Mobile-friendly design
Best for: Creating dashboards using mixed or large data sources required for internal use.
- Open source visualization software
- Creates both dynamic dashboards and other visualizations
- Supports mixed data sources, annotations, and customizable alert functions
- Hundreds of plugins available to extend it
- Shares snapshots of dashboards
- Invite collaborators
- Supports over 50 data sources via plugins
- Free download available
Best for: Designers creating basic, small-sized, embeddable, and responsive charts.
- Free download
- Creates responsive, customizable charts
- Cross-browser compatible
- Charts can be animated
- Can be extended using plugins
- Creates embeddable, interactive, and responsive graphs
Best for: Designers with basic coding skills who want to create maps.
- Dynamic, responsive outputs
- Variety of styles, including image overlays, symbol maps, and density maps
- Uses SVG for image creation, allowing designers to use CSS for design customization
Let’s Bring your Data to Life
We hope you find this list of the best data visualization tools useful for your business. If you need help unlocking the power of data, whether it’s for a customer-facing application or for internal use, the Rebel Unicorn can help.
Our creatives have extensive experience turning deep data sets and complex ideas into easily digestible infographics.
Contact us today to learn more!